Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Lesson of the Sperms and Germs

The website The Smoking Gun gave the following headline on February 9: "DNA Links Grocery Clerk to Semen Found in Sample Eaten by Woman". The first paragraph of the story reads, "Laboratory tests have confirmed that semen found in a yogurt sample consumed by a New Mexico woman matches the DNA of a grocery store employee who was suspected in the tainting case, according to police."

Coincidentally, this egregious crime was reported by The Smoking Gun just a few days after I was sent home from work following a customer complaint about my continual coughing as I was giving out samples. I told management repeatedly for several days that I was ill and asked that they find a replacement for me so I could rest at home and get well. But it wasn't until the customer complained that I was sent home.

I went to the doctor this past Monday and was told I was, in fact, quite ill with a serious case of severe bronchitis and should not go back to work until the following Monday at the earliest. I was given a handful of prescriptions for heavy-duty antibiotics, inhalers, narcotics, cough suppressants, and steroids to clear my nearly-filled lungs. It has not been an easy week.

For those who care, I am feeling better today. Thank you for wondering. For all others, please heed this caveat (and I personally think it should be written in some biblical text somewhere since it is so very true): Whether it be sperms or germs, no one cares until you complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment